Information for Non-Teaching Substitutes
The Halifax Regional School Board maintains substitute lists for the following non-teaching positions to provide short term coverage to schools when permanent staff are away. Substitutes are placed in day-to-day assignments on an as needed basis.
Non-teaching substitutes work on call to provide short term coverage to schools when permanent staff is away. The rate of pay for substitutes is $11.01 per hour.
When there is a shortage in any of the above positions, the Halifax Regional School Board will advertise a job posting in the Employment section of our website. If you are interested in becoming an employee with us, we encourage you to sign into your account at Careers at HRSB and apply to the appropriate job posting using your online resume. If you do not already have a myHRSB account, click here to register for one.
The Application Process
All applications for the Non-Teaching Substitute lists must be completed in full and should not be submitted to us until all required information is included.
The following information is required:
- A detailed resume which includes relevant qualifications and experience (apply to the appropriate job posting)
- First Aid/CPR Certificate (for EPA's only)
- Two work related references
The Interview Process
Upon review of applications and operational requirements, qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. This may take 4-8 weeks. In preparation for the interview you should bring a copy of your resume, ensuring that it is up-to-date along with a list of professional references with their current contact information.
Upon completion of a successful interview and offer of employment, all new employees are required to provide the following documents before commencing employment with our Board:
- Current Criminal Records Check - available from your local Police or RCMP detachment or online at www.mybackcheck.com (please share your results with the Halifax Regional School Board). Must be issued within the past three months.
- You must log on to the on-line New Employee Orientation to obtain access to the additional forms required. Log into myHRSB (myhrsb.ca) and choose the "New Employee Orientation" link in the drop down menu to the right of the page, then click on the "First things First" link (located under the welcome videos from Carole and Irvine). In addition to several required information/tax forms to fill out, you will be asked to complete a Child Abuse Registry - Request for Search Form (a copy of your Driver’s License or Health Card must accompany this form).
Each year during the summer returning substitutes are required to complete the Non-Teaching Substitute Confirmation Form below to remain on the list for the upcoming school year.
Non-Teaching Substitute Confirmation Forms: