HRSB Welcomes the World
International services is looking for families to host students from other countries. To learn more click here.
The Halifax Regional School Board welcomes students from other countries who wish to attend school in Nova Scotia. We offer an excellent academic environment, as well as extra-curricular activities at all levels. International students, who wish to attend school while living with a relative in Canada must have a legal guardian who is a Canadian citizen. The exception would be the student who is living with a parent while attending school. All foreign students must have proof of health insurance before the child will be permitted to attend school.
Click here for our newsletters.
Newcomers’ Guide to the Nova Scotia Schools
The Newcomers’ Guide to the Nova Scotia Schools was developed to help newcomer families understand the P-12 public school system. The guide provides an overview of school policies, procedures and expectations including strategies for you to help with your child’s learning. You can download the guide from the following link: http://novascotiaimmigration.ca/sites/default/files/Newcomers-Guide.pdf
- Children of parents holding a Work Permit. No tuition is charged for these students.
- Children of parents who are in the country on a Study Permit and who are attending a publicly-funded education institute on a full time basis. No tuition is charged for these students.
How to Apply
A copy of the parent’s Work Permit or the parent’s Study Permit, including proof of relationship with the child should be sent to the office listed below. If the parent is divorced, a copy of the custodial papers must be provided.
A Letter of Acceptance, accepting the child as a student with the Halifax Regional School Board will be sent once all paper work is completed.
- Students who do not have Canadian citizenship and who come to live with a relative/friend in the Halifax Regional School Board must pay a tuition of $8,500 CDN.
- Students who do not have Canadian citizenship and who will be living with a parent on a Visitor’s Visa are required to pay a tuition of $8,500 CDN.
How to Apply
All funds are in Canadian (CDN) dollars. Make all cheques or money orders out to Halifax Regional School Board. Cash is not accepted.
- Fill out the attached forms
- Send the forms plus the application fee of $150, which is non-refundable, to the Halifax Regional School Board (see address below)
- Include a copy of the birth certificate translated into English
- Include a copy of school records/transcripts translated into English
- When the student is accepted by the International Services department, you will pay the tuition fee of $8,500
- A Letter of Acceptance will be sent to you, which you will take or send to the Embassy or Immigration Canada
- You will be issued a Student Authorization. This is vital if you wish to enrol the student
- If you wish to have the student in our insurance plan it will cost $65 (CDN) a month. It is through Ingle Insurance
- If you need further information or clarification please don’t hesitate to contact us. Fill out the form linked below:
The following categories do not need to go through this office but you will be asked for papers as you enroll your child in school. No tuition will be applied.
- Permanent Resident or Landed Immigrant Status
- Convention Refugee
Send application and documents to:
Halifax Regional School Board
33 Spectacle Lake Drive, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Kelly Pitre - Phone: +1 (902) 464-2000 ext. 2547
Fax: +1 (902) 484-6126, or +1 (902) 464-2254
Nova Scotia International Student Program
Students interested in our homestay program should visit the Nova Scotia International Student Program website (link
) or contact them by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
PAYMENT BY BANK TRANSFER
To make a payment by bank transfer, the payment must be made to:
Bank of Montreal
5151 George Street
Halifax, Nova Scotia
TEL: (902) 421-3698
Credit account of:
HALIFAX REGIONAL SCHOOL BOARD G/A
00093 001 1071 196Please note:
It is extremely important that the name of the student who will be attending a Halifax Regional School Board school be included on any bank transactions.
To ensure that your payment is credited to your account with the school board, please notify the following staff member once payment has been made:
Kelly Pitre, Manager, International Services email: email@example.com or fax (902) 464-484-6126 or 902-464-2254